Entry requirements: General requirements for university studies and English B, Civics A (Field-specific entry requirements 6)
Selection: 1/3 on the basis of upper secondary school grades, 1/3 on the basis of the Swedish University Aptitude Test, 1/3 on the basis of previous university credits (Max. 165 credits may be taken into account)
- Application AS13 week 35-44, fulltime100%, day. Application code: SH-42136
Media Production: Texts and Images
Course 15 credits
What tools and methods can be used for communication in the modern media society? This course is intended for students who wish to combine basic skills within media production and at the same time gain a theoretical understanding of the conditions for media design and representations. The course offers basic skills in text and image production as well as digital publishing. Media design and representations are introduced, cultivated and reflected upon from cultural and media theoretical perspectives and continuously examined. In the spring semester the course is given in Swedish.
The below information comes from the syllabus and is valid from: spring semester 2013
Teaching consists of lectures, seminars, practical exercises and project work, both individually and in groups. Theoretical and practical elements are often integrated, in order to train students in reflection and analysis.
Great emphasis is placed on practical application of the theoretical parts. Instruction in narrative technique, design, distribution and media theory, integrated with skills in digital production tools, for posting on digital distribution platforms.
Knowledge and understanding
• understand and describe the relationship between theory, technology and formation in media production.
Skills and abilities
• try out, reflect on and discuss the role of fictional and documentary narrative in media production
• work independently with digital tools for media production
• explore and convert knowledge, grounded in theoretical perspectives on culture and media, into new shapes based on a broader concept of text (text and images) in analogue and digital form
Judgment and approah
• reflect upon one's own attitudes and work, as well as others, in relation to
different media productions in group discussions and individually
• assess one's own actions as a media producer from ethical and democratic perspectives.
Students are examined on a number of mandatory critique classes,
including presentation of own media materials and production processes
and opposition of others. Both modules are concluded with a written exam.
Grading criteria will be distributed at course/module start.
The above information and syllabus are based on the most recently validated decision. Please contact the Study Information Desk for information about earlier versions of the syllabus.
Study Information Desk
Do you have questions about this course? Please contact the Study Information Desk
Read more about the School of Culture and Education
The Study information pages have practical information about studying and support services for students at Södertörn University